19 September 2016 - The Emfuleni Local Municipality (ELM) Speaker Cllr Maipato Tsokolibane, in accordance with the prescripts of the Municipal Structures Act, 1998 is inviting the public to participate in the Ward Committee Elections to take place within the municipality’s 45 wards.
The Ward Committee Elections process for the 5 year council tenure will be held under the Theme: “Getting the Basics Right - Participate in the election of the Ward Committees.”
The local government elections were held on the 3rd August 2016, followed by the first Council Sitting on the 17th August 2016.
Circular 29 of 2016 of the National Department of Corporative Governance requires that Ward Committees in all metropolitan and local municipalities must be established within ninety (90) days after the first municipal council sitting. To ensure credibility, Circular 29 further requires the election of Ward Committee members should be conducted with the assistance and / or within the prescripts of the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC).
Ward Committees are established to strengthen the concept of inclusive system of governance and deepening of democracy through public engagement processes. They also form part of the basic values and principles of public participation at all spheres of government.
For all interested parties to be eligible to participate in these processes, they must:
- Be registered voters and appear on the IEC voters roll for the ward where the person nominates or is being nominated to be a ward committee member,
- Produce their Green Bar-coded Identity Documents, Temporary IDs or SMART Card IDs and complete an attendance register to enter into the Ward Committee
- Not stand for election for more than a second term,
- Be 18 years and older or own a business or property in the ward,
- Not be permanently or contractually employed by a Municipality, any sphere of government or be a Community Development Worker [CDW],
- Not be in arrears for a period more than 90 days [In case of nominees],
- Not have been convicted of an offence and sentenced for a period of not less than twelve (12) months [In case of nominees]
Ward Committee members must be nominated & elected for the following ten  Portfolios:
- Basic Services,
- Human Settlement,
- Agriculture, LED, Development & Planning and Tourism,
- Public Safety,
- Gender/Youth & Disability [GEYODI]
- Health & Social Development,
- Sport, recreation, Arts, Culture & Library Information Services,
- Environmental Management & Planning,
- Finance & Revenue,
- Infrastructure Planning, Development &Assets
The nominations forms are available and must be collected from Ward Councillors, Public Libraries, from our Regional Offices or the Speaker’s Office from the 20th September 2016 during office hours: 08:30 to 16:00.
Completed nomination forms MUST BE returned to the Office of the Speaker at Corner Klasi Havenga & Frikkie Meyer Boulevard Streets, Vanderbijlpark, before the closing date on Friday, 14th October 2016.
Our democracy allows every eligible citizen to get involved in how their municipalities are been governed.
Issued by: Communications Department
Contact: Stanley Gaba (016) 950 6481
Designation: Acting Manager